Noel Sampson, M.Sc.
Master of International Cooperation and Urban Development
Areas of Expertise
- Urban Development and Planning
- Develoment Cooperation
- Project and Program Management
- Housing Development and Management
- Climate Change
- DRR and Urban Resilience
- Supported the Strategy for Sustainable Housing and Land Management in the ECE Region 2014-2020
- Organized the Workshop “Building resilient communities through urban planning and the integration of the Natural Sciences” held on 13/Jan/2015 in Geneva, Switzerland
- Wrote the concept note of the Coastal Cities Initiative: for resilient human settlements in coastal areas in the ECE region
- Supported drafting the Policy Study on Urban Planning in the ECE region in line with the new urban agenda, HABITAT III and the post-2015 SDGs
- Assisted in the organization of meetings, including the first meeting of the Task Group on Urban Planning
Read more about UNECE work on Housing and Land Management
Read more about Workshop “Building resilient communities through urban planning and the integration of the Natural Sciences”
- Liaising with housing sector actors, analysis of services, impacts and business models of the affordable housing sector. Contributed to the elaboration of the concept note of a Home Improvement Finance Entity for Nicaragua.
Read more about the Affordable Housing Institute
Supported the educational and urban development program aimed to facilitate the debate on the current status of Palestinian refugee camps and translate them into practice through community-driven urban interventions.
- Project management, urban planning and design, facilitating engagement of participants and beneficiaries
Read more about Campus in Camps
- Support the ADB’s Ulaanbaatar Urban Services And Ger Area Development Investment Program
- Technical assistance, urban planning, office support, document drafting, urban resilience and community mapping
Read more about this program in the Asian Development Bank
- Various projects: sustainable architecture, built environment, housing, WASH improvement and community development projects.
- Project management, technical assistance, community participation, budgeting, supervising and reporting
Read more about Bridges to Community
Project management, technical assistance, supervising and reporting. Various projects:
- Project of Support of Farmer Trading in the Municipality of La Paz Centro, León, Nicaragua
- Project of Support of Women Cooperatives in the locality of Tecuaname, León, Nicaragua
- Project of Support of Food Security in the Municipality of La Paz Centro, León, Nicaragua
Read more about CEPS
- Risk assessment and management, disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and resilience
- Urban development and planning, urban economics, affordable housing
- Urban studies, humanitarian affairs, disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation
Training and Workshops
2014: Young Planning Professionals Workshop: REDEVELOPING THE MOSCOW EXHIBITION CENTER (VDNH).
ISOCARP and Moscow Urban Forum. Moscow, Russia.
2012: Urban Development Workshop of Yangtze-River-Delta.
Tongji University and TU Darmstadt. Shanghai, China.
2009: Management Course for Development Practitioners.
MDF Training & Consultancy. Ede, The Netherlands.
2009: Shelter Design & Development.
Lund University. Lund, Sweden, and and Manila, The Philippines
- 2014: Young Planning Professionals fellowship. ISOCARP. Moscow, Russia
- 2014: Research Scholarship. Urbanist exchange. Urban Managua. Appear and TU Wien. Colombia
- 2011: Erasmus Mundus Master Program Scholarship for Academic Excellency. European Commission. EU
- 2009: Netherlands Fellowship Program NFP. NUFFIC. The Netherlands
- 2009: Advanced International Training Fellowship. Swedish International Development Agency SIDA. Sweden
Writing and Research
- “Directrices para la Managua compacta, sostenible y resiliente: experiencias de gestión urbana, densificación y resiliencia de la Ciudad de Bogotá”. Urban Managua. Bogota. 2014.
- “The race against winter in the slums of Ulaanbaatar”. Affordable Housing Institute Global Blog. 05/15/2013. http://ahiglobal.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/the-race-against-winter-in-the-slums-of-ulaanbaatar/
- “Pro-poor Housing Adaptation to Climate Change in Countries of the Tropics: Case Studies of Housing Resilience in Nicaragua and Vietnam“. Master Thesis. 07/2013.
- Microsoft Office programs: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project.
- AutoCAD, Creative Suite CS3
Organizational and managerial skills
- Leadership (coordinating up to 20 team members)
- Drawing, hand sketching
Affiliations and Memberships
- Member. Emerge | Sustainable Cities
- Associate Regional Analyst. Affordable Housing Institute AHI. Boston, United States
- Regional Collaborator. Urbanismo & Sistemas. Bogotá, Colombia
Israel and Palestinian Territories (2014), Russia (2014), Colombia (2014), Switzerland (2014-2015), Mongolia (2013), Vietnam (2012), Spain (2012-2013), China (2012), Germany (2011-2012),The Philippines (2010), The Netherlands (2009), Sweden (2009) and Nicaragua (home country)